Loud booms heard after malfunction sparks hospital fire - FOX Carolina 21

Loud booms heard after malfunction sparks hospital fire

Posted: Updated:
Fire left behind some damage at a Transylvania Regional Hospital Sunday night after an boiler exploded. (April 15, 2012/FOX Carolina) Fire left behind some damage at a Transylvania Regional Hospital Sunday night after an boiler exploded. (April 15, 2012/FOX Carolina)
BREVARD, NC (FOX Carolina) -

Firefighters in Transylvania County are investigating an explosion inside the Transylvania Regional Hospital.

Firefighters said there were four explosions inside the boiler room area that sparked the fire at the Brevard hospital.

Witnesses in the area said a total of 12 fire departments responded to the blaze. As of 11 p.m. Sunday, firefighters had controlled the blaze.

Firefighters said the building sustained moderate damage and the hospital's heating/cooling system was down for about an hour.

There were no evacuations and no one was injured in the fire. Hospital staff did move patients away from the boiler room building into rooms further from that side of the hospital. No patients were evacuated, and the hospital never lost power.

Transylvania County Fire Marshal Gerald Grose said a malfunction in a control panel on an electric boiler caused the fire.

Grose said there were reports of explosions, but the boiler did not explode. He said the loud sound of energized electric circuits failing and high-voltage electricity arcing could be mistaken for an explosion.

The boiler room is located in a large, separate concrete-block building behind the main hospital.

Copyright 2012 FOX Carolina (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
Fox Carolina
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, WHNS; Greenville, SC. (A Meredith Corporation Station) and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.