Grand Strand visitors: vacation cut short by roaches
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WMBF) Grand Strand visitors say their vacation was cut short when they found a condo they had rented for the week at Barefoot Resort in North Myrtle Beach infested with roaches.
Terri Smith said, "That's the hardest part. I was horrified because you never know when you're going to get another vacation…you know what I'm saying? And I just wanted it to be so special and it did…it ruined it. It really did. It's so awful."
Smith said a much-needed vacation with her husband, children and grand kids turned into a nightmare. Smith's son-in-law, Jim Tulloss said, "We would find a whole room full of them. We would kill them all and then go to bed and then get up and see they are all over the kitchen again."
Tulloss added, "You come on vacation and you expect to not worry about anything and now we've had to worry about who to call." Despite multiple calls to the visitor hotline and rental agency Tulloss said it took two days before someone came to spray for roaches.
Tulloss said, "We have another night here, but it got so bad in the last couple of days that we are not even going to use it." Smith explained, "They told us it takes three weeks to even get close to getting rid of roaches so how are you going to get rid of them in a week. How are you going to get rid of them before these next people come in?"
They said it comes down to a health hazard. Smith added, "My daughter got me up at 7:30 the next morning and said mom I had a roach crawl across my face and wake me up." Tulloss said, "We started putting things in the fridge so the roaches wouldn't get in them. And we found a roach in the fridge. We started putting buns in the microwave and they were all over the counter."
The family was also concerned about taking the roaches home with them. Smith said, "I have a three year old running around in there…who keeps shoes on a three year old? So now they say those nits or whatever they are called gets on your feet and shoes and then the guy came in here and told us to shake all our clothes…he said put them in the dryer. So it was just a fiasco packing up."
Now the family is asking for their money back. Smith said, "They should have…or at least said here is your money back go try to find somewhere. I told her I paid you my money in good faith…wouldn't you think you'd be a little compassionate back?"
Tulloss said, "I would think they could put us in another room that would be fine. They should at least be obligated to put us in another room."
Barefoot Resort did not return phone calls to discuss the situation. The Barefoot Resort HOA president did not want to comment on the situation.
Sunday, August 31 2014 3:28 PM EDT2014-08-31 19:28:29 GMT
Disturbing pictures of an injured kindergartner from Pascagoula have made a mother's call for action go viral online.More >
Disturbing pictures of an injured kindergartner from Pascagoula have made a mother's call for action go viral online. Friends and family of a Pascagoula kindergarten student have created a Facebook page and GoFundMe.com account claiming the girl was attacked on the playground this week by another student.More >
Sunday, August 31 2014 4:12 PM EDT2014-08-31 20:12:10 GMT
CONWAY, SC (WMBF) – Dozens of videos are all over Twitter from parties held at Coastal Carolina University. Many of the posts lead back to a group called I'm Shmacked. It makes videos at universitiesMore >
Dozens of videos are all over social media from parties held at Coastal Carolina University.More >