Child killed in I-85 chase, crash is laid to rest - FOX Carolina 21

Child killed in I-85 chase, crash is laid to rest

Posted: Updated:

The child who died after she was thrown from a crash following a high-speed chase on Interstate 85 was laid to rest Sunday afternoon.

Queniya Shelton, 7, was in the car her mother, 26-year-old Errika Shelton, was driving when authorities said the woman fled from a traffic stop at speeds up to 100 mph on August 7.

The SUV crashed, and authorities said Queniya was not wearing a seatbelt and later died at the hospital from her injuries.

Friends of the family told FOX Carolina there wasn't an empty seat at Mount Moriah Baptist Church in Spartanburg County Sunday afternoon. Hundreds crowded in the church to pay their last respects to a girl many say was truly something special.

With prayers and heavy hearts family and friends buried Queniya in Spartanburg County. Those who were inside the church said the funeral was simply heartbreaking.

"It was a emotional service, a lot of tears and sadness," said family friend Tamara Smith. "A 7-year-old died. She was somebody that didn't deserve to have this happen, but ultimately it may have been God's will."

Queniya was a Girl Scout at the church. Her grandmother told FOX Carolina the child wanted to be a doctor or engineer.

She was ready to start the second grade at Hendrix Elementary School in Boiling Springs. Her first-grade teacher and principal spoke at the service Sunday afternoon and said she was a very bright little girl, and many agreed.

"She was a straight 'A' student, and I believe today somehow she's smiling upon us," said family Pastor Sharome Gentry of the Worship Center in Spartanburg. "In the service today, I kind of quoted the ABCs. I think that's what she's doing now, going over her ABCs."

Many others said this tragedy is a reminder to enjoy each moment in life.

"Love your children and show them how much you love them all the time," said Smith.

Queniya was buried at Heritage Memorial Gardens in Spartanburg County.

Authorities said Errika Shelton was transported to see her daughter early Sunday morning to pay her last respects. Shelton has been in jail since Friday.

Copyright 2012 FOX Carolina (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
Fox Carolina
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, WHNS; Greenville, SC. (A Meredith Corporation Station) and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.