Officials: Spartanburg woman killed after cigarettes spark fire - FOX Carolina 21

Officials: Spartanburg woman killed after cigarettes spark fire

Posted: Updated:
Emergency vehicles can be seen parked at a Spartanburg apartment after a fire. (Aug. 30, 2012/FOX Carolina) Emergency vehicles can be seen parked at a Spartanburg apartment after a fire. (Aug. 30, 2012/FOX Carolina)
SPARTANBURG, SC (FOX Carolina) -

One person was killed in an apartment fire in Spartanburg on Thursday evening.

The fire happened about 6:30 p.m. at 170 Kensington Dr. at the Kensington Manor Apartments.

Spartanburg Fire Marshal Brad Hall said when firefighters arrived, there was light visible smoke, but once inside the building, they saw the fire was out.

Hall said the fire started in the living room near where they found an unconscious woman. The Spartanburg County Coroner's Office said that Pamela Brown, 50, died after the fire.

The fire most likely started as a result of improperly discarded cigarettes, according to Hall.

An autopsy determined Brown died from carbon monoxide poisoning secondary to a house fire, according to Spartanburg County Coroner's Investigator Teri Carter.

Copyright 2012 FOX Carolina (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
Fox Carolina
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, WHNS; Greenville, SC. (A Meredith Corporation Station) and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.