Marshal: Explosive fire left home in 'complete destruction' - FOX Carolina 21

Marshal: Explosive fire left home in 'complete destruction'

Posted: Updated:
The remaining debris after the Bat Cave home exploded. (Sept. 3, 2012/FOX Carolina) The remaining debris after the Bat Cave home exploded. (Sept. 3, 2012/FOX Carolina)
BAT CAVE, NC (FOX Carolina) -

Authorities said Bat Cave mobile home was completely destroyed after an explosion, resulting from a mix of cigarettes and oxygen tanks.

Firefighters were called to the home on Lake Lure Highway early Sunday morning.

Henderson County fire marshal Wally Hollis said hot cigarette butts were thrown into the trash, which was next to oxygen tanks, sparking the massive blaze.

The cigarettes were thought to have been cold, but were still burning in the trash can, and eventually ignited a fire inside the home, Hollis said.  He added the oxygen tanks were next to the trash can, and once the tanks overheated, they exploded.

Hollis said two people were inside when the fire broke out, but were able to get out before the explosion took place.

Copyright 2012 FOX Carolina (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
Fox Carolina
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, WHNS; Greenville, SC. (A Meredith Corporation Station) and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.