A Blacksburg woman was electrocuted after running over an extension cord while mowing her yard, according to the Cherokee County coroner.
Cherokee County Coroner Dennis Fowler said 50-year-old Wendy Panther of Holly Ridge Road died Friday afternoon after the riding mower she was operating ran over the cord.
About 1 p.m. Friday, Panther struck a propane tank while mowing, overturning it, then called the gas company to let them know, Fowler said. She continued to cut grass.
At 2:07 p.m. a two man crew from Freeman Gas company arrived to repair the tank and discovered her lying face down on the ground beside the mower with her left hand near the mowing deck chute, Fowler said.
Fowler said an electrical extension cord had become entangled around the blade and was still connected to the power source at the home, when Panther apparently got off the mower and was attempting to untangle it from the blade when she received the 110-volt electrical shock.
The cord was not unplugged until the gas service men arrived, then they called 911 and began CPR on Panther, Fowler said.
Fowler said an autopsy confirmed Panther was electrocuted and died accidentally.
He reminds residents to make sure lawns are clear of debris and charged electrical cords, many of which are green in color and easily blend with the grass, before mowing.
Copyright 2012 FOX Carolina (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.