Missing boy survives sub-freezing cold; found safe - FOX Carolina 21


Missing boy survives sub-freezing cold; found safe

Posted: Updated:
Cole Evans was last seen Saturday morning. Cole Evans was last seen Saturday morning.
After an extensive search, Cole was found safe Sunday morning. After an extensive search, Cole was found safe Sunday morning.

Investigators are trying to learn how a 7-year-old missing Phoenix boy found safe near Seligman on Sunday morning survived frigid 15-degree overnight temperatures.

Cole Evans was found in good condition at about 11:45 a.m. Sunday by two Seligman residents who had volunteered to search for the boy, according to Yavapai County Sheriff's Office spokesman Dwight D'Evelyn.

The residents, who had been checking on potential hiding places, discovered Cole under a trailer about three miles from his grandmother's house. When they stopped to investigate, the boy came running toward them and both recognized Cole immediately, D'Evelyn said. 

His discovery capped a search by more than 100 law enforcement authorities and others that began on Saturday. Authorities used night vision equipment Saturday night to search for the boy, but came up empty-handed.

Cole told sheriff's deputies he was aware of the search helicopters overnight, but it was when he saw the two rescuers drive by that he knew to run to them for safety, according to D'Evelyn. 

Cole was transported to the Command Post, where DPS Ranger paramedics examined him for the effects of exposure. They found him in good condition with no further medical treatment necessary.

Cole disappeared at about 10 a.m. Saturday from his grandmother's home, where his family was visiting, near My Way and Lazy Day roads. The area is close to the more commonly known Anvil Rock Road.

The boy's parents sat down to play cards. Without them knowing, Cole put on his coat and boots and walked out the back door.

Cole told his mom that he got lost and walked all day trying to find his way back home.  When night fell, he laid down on a rock but said he never slept because it was so uncomfortable.

He told his mom that after a while he closed his eyes and tried to as hard as he could to remember how to get home. Saturday night, the boy said he said he prayed but never fell asleep as search helicopters flew overhead.  

YCSO was assisted by numerous search and rescue teams, Arizona Department of Public Safety officers and a Ranger Helicopter, along with search and rescue personnel from Mohave and Coconino counties. The Department of Corrections also had search dogs on scene.

Copyright 2013 CBS 5 (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
Fox Carolina
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2018, WHNS; Greenville, SC. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.