Fire destroys Murfreesboro mansion - FOX Carolina 21

Fire destroys Murfreesboro mansion

Posted: Updated:
MURFREESBORO, TN (WSMV) -

A large home in Murfreesboro is in ruins after a fire Saturday night.

The fire started at about 9 p.m. at a house on Sanford Drive.

When first responders arrived, the home was fully engulfed in flames.

Firefighters continued to battle the fire until about 5 a.m. Sunday.

According to Rutherford County property records, the home was nearly 10,000 square feet.

No one was hurt. According to a representative for the Murfreesboro Fire and Rescue Department, the Rutherford County Sheriff's Department will launch an investigation.

Family members of the homeowner said Sunday that the home was built in 1974, and they believe the fire may have been sparked by an electrical problem.

The family said no one was home at the time and all the pets got out safely.

"We just had Christmas here with the whole family and the grandchildren," said Valerie Compton, daughter of the home's owner.

"My father built it with his hands, and it's a lot of his creativity and my mom's," Compton continued. "There's a lot of memories here. We had a huge quilt that was made by my grandmother and great-grandmother that was hanging on the fireplace, and obviously that's completely gone."

Compton said her father will rebuild the house, and she'll be around to help.

"We have our memories, and we have each other," said Compton. "We've got a strong foundation."

Copyright 2013 WSMV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
Fox Carolina
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, WHNS; Greenville, SC. (A Meredith Corporation Station) and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.