Still a lot of uncertainty with this forecast! Here's my latest thinking:
-Event starts Friday morning, first in the western mountains and north GA.
- It will probably begin as sleet, then transition to freezing rain.
- Sleet for Upstate by mid-morning, then freezing rain Noon to 4pm
- Late afternoon it may get warm enough in the Upstate to become all rain.
- We'll clear through the evening.
- Saturday morning we could be left with slippery bridges/overpasses and secondary roads area-wide. Should be fine by 9am though.
Good news is that amounts have stayed fairly light. In the Upstate, it should be mostly a slick road issue, while in the mountains it could accumulate up to 0.25" leading to downed trees and power lines. We can't rule that out in the Upstate, but so far accumulation amounts look to be under 0.15". Northern Upstate will be the most vulnerable to major issues.
There are lots of variables, and technically we could end up with VERY little precip at all (thanks to dry air at the surface), or just plain ole rain if we get a chance to warm up at all. More updates to come!