Home destroyed in fatal Spartanburg Co. fire - FOX Carolina 21

Home destroyed in fatal Spartanburg Co. fire

Posted: Updated:
The Oakland Street home destroyed by fire where the coroner says someone died inside. (Jan. 25, 2013/FOX Carolina) The Oakland Street home destroyed by fire where the coroner says someone died inside. (Jan. 25, 2013/FOX Carolina)
SPARTANBURG, SC (FOX Carolina) -

The Spartanburg County coroner said someone died in an early morning house fire Friday.

Spartanburg Dispatchers said the first call about the Oakland Street house fire came in just after 3 a.m. The house is located in the Converse area.

Converse Fire Chief Tim Jones said they got the call about 3:15 a.m. and discovered the home had seven people inside, six of whom were upstairs at the time.

Jones said a 22-year-old man who was upstairs didn't make it out alive. He said the fire appears to have started from a wood stove. He said the family's two dogs and a cat also died in the fire.

Coroner Rusty Clevenger has not yet released the man's name.

Jones said five departments totaling 35 firefighters were called in to battle the blaze. He said they had trouble fighting the fire because of ice, having to set up water shuttles and bring in sand trucks.

Copyright 2013 FOX Carolina (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
Fox Carolina
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, WHNS; Greenville, SC. (A Meredith Corporation Station) and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.