High Wind Warning is in effect for tonight and tomorrow in the mountains, meaning that winds could gust up to 70 mph as this potent system approaches and swings through. A Wind Advisory is in effect for the Upstate and northeast GA where gusts could go between 40-45. Flooding will be another threat, at least localized. One to two inches of rain will be possible, so some flooding in poor drainage areas will be possible.
My main concern for tomorrow's forecast is our severe weather potential. We haven't been this primed for severe weather in a long time. Andy Wood and I were just talking about that, and will both be in the storm center through the afternoon as the storms roll in. Shear is high and CAPE is modest, but there. CAPE is essentially the energy available for storms. If we get some sunshine through the late morning and early PM, the CAPE will soar higher. So, sunshine isn't such a good thing tomorrow. Here's a breakdown of what we'll deal with through Wednesday:
- Showers will develop tonight and temps will be unseasonably warm in the 50s for most spots! Fog will also develop, making for a dreary start to the day. It will slowly become windy through the morning.
- The wind will pick up through the day tomorrow. Sustained winds from 15-25 mph, gusts to 45 in the Upstate and potentially up to 70 mph in the mountains. High Wind Warning in effect for the mountains.
- Severe storms will be possible during the afternoon and early evening as a cold front approaches. Damaging wind and torrential downpours will be the main threats, but an isolated tornado can't be ruled out. Keep in mind this is the time when many of you will be picking up your kids, going home from work, etc. Stay posted on weather conditions through foxcarolina.com, friend/like us on facebook (look for Fox Carolina Weather) and keep it on Fox for on-air updates if storms become life threatening.
- We should clear out during the late evening and overnight, but as strong northwest winds take over, snow will develop for the mountains (mainly near the TN border).
- Thursday will be much colder with highs in the 40s and 50s.