Donelson home damaged by 2 fires within 8 hours - FOX Carolina 21

Donelson home damaged by 2 fires within 8 hours

Posted: Updated:

A couple who lived at a Donelson home for more than 40 years is looking for a new place to live Monday after their residence was damaged by fire twice in the span of eight hours.

The first fire occurred Sunday night at the home near the intersection of Crystal and Jade drives.

Emergency crews said the fire started because of a faulty bathroom ceiling vent.

The couple who had lived at the home decided to go to a motel until repairs could be made.

Fire crews came by at midnight to check on the house and saw no problems. However, at about 4:15 a.m. Monday, a police officer noticed a second fire at the home.

Firefighters saw flames shooting through the roof when they arrived.

"That sweet policeman, he was beating and banging on the door, trying to get them out," said neighbor Becky Staggs. "He was so worried about them being here."

This time, the officer was sure homeowners were trapped inside, but fortunately they had heeded officials' advise to stay the night somewhere else with their pet dogs.

The second fire did substantial damage, and crews said the home is now likely a total loss.

Copyright 2013 WSMV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
Fox Carolina
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2018, WHNS; Greenville, SC. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.