Apartment sprinkler extinguishes fire - FOX Carolina 21

Apartment sprinkler extinguishes fire

Posted: Updated:
ASHEVILLE, NC (FOX Carolina) -

A fire was squelched before it could spread because of an apartment complex's sprinkler system, firefighters said.

Firefighters with the Asheville Fire Department were called to a complex on Caledonia Road Monday at 11 p.m. for a structure fire, but when they arrived, they said they found the sprinkler system had already activated inside the apartment.

Firefighters said somehow a mattress caught fire inside a bedroom, but the sprinkler doused the blaze before the fire could cause further damage. They said no one was injured.

The department reports that fire sprinkler systems and smoke alarms help reduce the risk of death in a home by 82 percent and lessens the risk of damage.

Copyright 2013 FOX Carolina (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
Fox Carolina
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, WHNS; Greenville, SC. (A Meredith Corporation Station) and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.