(CNN) -- A national ban on assault weapons may have met all-but-certain death in the Senate this week, but one of the measure's proponents - New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg - said Sunday his fight wasn't over.
"I don't think there's ever been an issue where the public has spoken so clearly, where Congress hasn't eventually understood and done the right thing," Bloomberg said on NBC's "Meet the Press."
Earlier this week, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid left off the ban on assault weapons when he introduced gun control legislation in the upper chamber. The measure would expand background checks, improve school safety and restrict gun trafficking.
The assault weapons ban, which was introduced by Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-California, will be voted on as an amendment to the larger gun control bill. It's not expected to gain approval in the full Senate.
But despite the ban's demise, Bloomberg said part of his goal - having the Senate vote on the measure - will be met.
"We demanded a plan and then we demanded a vote. We have the plan. We're going to get the vote. It's incumbent on us to make our voices heard," Bloomberg said, adding he thought eventually a ban would succeed in Congress.
"We have a lot of work ahead of us. I don't think we should give up on the assault weapons ban. But clearly it is a more difficult issue for a lot of people," he said.
On Saturday, Bloomberg's anti-gun violence group announced it was spending another $12 million to air ads putting pressure on Republican and Democratic lawmakers to vote for tighter gun control laws. The group, Mayors Against Illegal Guns, had already spent tens of millions on previous ads.
The television push amounts to Bloomberg trying "to impose his will on the American public," according to Wayne LaPierre, the executive vice president of the National Rifle Association.
"They don't want him in their restaurants, they don't want him in their homes, they don't want him telling what food to eat. They sure don't want him telling what self-defense firearms to own. He can't buy America," LaPierre said, also on NBC.
The public defender's office filed a motion with the court to determine whether 19-year-old Nikolas Cruz was eligible for a taxpayer-funded defense.More >
Inmates at one of the country's most well-known prisons will have a hand in laying Reverend Billy Graham to rest. At his request, Angola inmates built his casket back in 2006.More >
The Laurens County Sheriff said two Laurens District 55 students are facing charges after possible threats were made on social media.More >
The School District of Oconee County announced Wednesday that several students had been suspended, and two arrested, after threats and rumors of school violence.More >
The office of the Swain County superintendent said all schools in the district were on lockdown Thursday morning.More >
The Goochland County Sheriff's Office says the investigation into the death of Bethany Lynn Stephens is complete.More >
The deputy who was on duty at a high school where 17 people were massacred waited outside the building for about four minutes without ever going in, the Broward County Sheriff saidMore >
Officials with Woodmont High School said a letter was sent out to parents of students on Wednesday after administration received reports of numerous rumored threats against the school for Thursday.More >
Bon Secours Health System and Mercy Health announced an intent to merge on Wednesday, planning to create one of the largest health systems in the country.More >
Troopers are investigating a fatal hit and run in Oconee County that killed a Seneca Middle School student.More >