The N.C. Medical Examiner's office knew carbon monoxide might have killed a couple in a Boone motel a week before an 11-year-old boy died in the same room.
The Charlotte Observer reported Saturday (http://bit.ly/17OBpE9 ) that Watauga County medical examiner Dr. Brent Hall resigned Friday.
Toxicology tests completed June 1 showed lethal levels of carbon monoxide in the blood of 72-year-old Shirley Mae Jenkins, who was found dead with her husband on April 16 in Room 225 of the Best Western Plus Blue Ridge Plaza.
But Hall failed to share those results with Watauga County authorities who could have shut down the motel.
Seven days later, Jeffrey Williams of Rock Hill, S.C., died in the same room. Investigators have determined an improperly ventilated pool heater was the source of the gas.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.