Smoke rises from the charred ground near Mt. Charleston on July 8, 2013, after a wildfire swept through the area. (FOX5)
MT. CHARLESTON, NV (FOX5) -
A wildfire that has been burning near Mt. Charleston for more than a week has charred nearly 20,000 acres, according to officials.
A lightning strike started the blaze in the Carpenter Canyon area on the western side of the mountain July 1.
On Tuesday, officials said 1,077 firefighters are battling the 19,757-acre blaze, which was 10 percent contained. One injury has been reported and the effort to battle the wildfire has so far cost approximately $6.2 million. The injury involved a worker at the Pahrump camp who suffered heat exhaustion.
Officials reported the fire on Tuesday jumped State Route 157, forcing a hard closure at mile marker 6.
The fire on Tuesday claimed its first structure, a commercial building in the Prospect Ranch area. Officials stressed that no homes are currently threatened.
Fire crews said the wind and sun didn't help their efforts on Monday. Still, they said they are confident moving forward.
According to inciweb.org, a website used to provide information about the wildfire, the fire has spread into lighter terrain and fuels on the eastern side, which will allow firefighters to make a more direct attack on the fire.
Air resources, which include nine helicopters, are being concentrated on the north side of the blaze, where firefighters are trying to prevent the fire from slipping in to Kyle Canyon, according to the website. It said firefighters are building fire lines on the southern side to prepare for burnout operations.
Since the blaze started, more than 500 residents have been evacuated from Kyle, Lee and Trout canyons. Residents were being allowed inside the evacuation zone with an escort.
There are two shelters set up to assist evacuees - one at Hafen Elementary School in Pahrump, and the other at James Bilbray Elementary School in Las Vegas. The Southern Nevada chapter of the American Red Cross said they need donations to help fund their relief efforts.
Nearly $5 million has been spent in an effort to contain the blaze.
Sen. Dean Heller, R-NV, said Gov. Brian Sandoval's request for aid from the Federal Emergency Management Agency has been approved, but it was not immediately clear when state agencies could expect to receive federal help.
No injuries have been reported, and no structures have been lost.
Officials said Monday they expect to have the fire contained by July 19.
Copyright 2013 KVVU (KVVU Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.
Carpenter 1 wildfire grows to nearly 20K acresMore>>
Sunday, March 9 2014 9:32 PM EDT2014-03-10 01:32:37 GMT
Three men were killed after a small airplane crash-landed in a Hartsville neighborhood Saturday. Authorities received the call that the plane had crashed around 7 p.m. between two houses about one mileMore >
Three men were killed after a small airplane crash-landed in a Hartsville neighborhood Saturday. More >