Woman taken to local hospital after extension cord sparks fire - FOX Carolina 21

Woman taken to local hospital after extension cord sparks fire

Posted: Updated:
VAN ZANDT COUNTY, TX (KLTV) - An early morning fire sent one East Texas woman to the hospital Wednesday.

According to the Van Zandt County Fire Marshal's Office, a female resident of a home located on Gibbard Avenue in Wills Point was taken to a local hospital for smoke inhalation. The female occupant was the only person at the home and was awakened by smoke just after the fire started around 6 a.m.

Officers from the Wills Point Police Department were the first to arrive at the scene and were able to lessen the extent of the fire's damage by closing the home's windows and doors. One bedroom suffered severe fire damage and the entire residence suffered smoke damage.

The fire was caused by a faulty extension cord. Multiple cords were found plugged into each other and into several electronic devices. There were no working smoke detectors inside the residence.

Wills Point Fire Department, Edgewood, and Rolling Oaks Volunteer Fire Departments responded to the scene.

Officials want to remind residents to check smoke detector batteries and extension cords that are plugged in to one another to reach another electronic device.

Copyright 2013 KLTV. All rights reserved.
Powered by WorldNow
Fox Carolina
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, WHNS; Greenville, SC. (A Meredith Corporation Station) and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.