Thousands race for the cure in Greenville - FOX Carolina 21

Thousands race for the cure in Greenville

Posted: Updated:
Participants run/walk in the The Susan G. Komen SC Mountains to Midlands Affiliate Race for the Cure Participants run/walk in the The Susan G. Komen SC Mountains to Midlands Affiliate Race for the Cure
Participants run/walk in the The Susan G. Komen SC Mountains to Midlands Affiliate Race for the Cure Participants run/walk in the The Susan G. Komen SC Mountains to Midlands Affiliate Race for the Cure
GREENVILLE, SC (FOX Carolina) -

Thousands of people laced up their running shoes to help battle breast cancer in downtown Greenville on Saturday morning.

The Susan G. Komen SC Mountains to Midlands Affiliate Race for the Cure started at 8 a.m., with runners starting and ending at Fluor Field.

The Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure Series is the largest series of 5K runs in the world, according to Komen for the Cure. Organizers said the run raises significant funds and awareness for the fight against breast cancer, celebrates breast cancer survivors and honors those who died from the disease.

Since it started in1983, organizers said the Komen Race for the Cure series has grown from one local 800-person race to a series of more than 120 races, which are expected to draw out over one million participants just this year.

Organizers said up to 75 percent of the funds raised at Saturday's race will remain in the Carolinas to provide breast health research, medical exams, treatment, and education for women with the disease. The remaining 25 percent goes to fund national research to discover the causes of breast cancer and possible cures.

Copyright 2013 WHNS (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
Fox Carolina
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, WHNS; Greenville, SC. (A Meredith Corporation Station) and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.