NC to continue WIC program after securing funds - FOX Carolina 21

NC to continue WIC program after securing funds

Posted: Updated:
RALEIGH, NC (AP) -

North Carolina state government announced Thursday night it will resume issuing benefits to poor women and their children through a federally funded program, two days after announcing the U.S. government shutdown would force their suspension.

State Health and Human Services Secretary Aldona Wos said her agency had secured additional funds to continue the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children for at least a few more weeks.

WIC provides food vouchers, nutrition education and health care referrals for 264,000 women and children monthly in North Carolina. The federal government usually pays for the program's $205 million cost.

Wos' department said the money to extend the program through October came from leftover money from last year, more contingency funds from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and rebates from WIC formula manufacturer Nestle.

"Because of the uncertainty of the federal shutdown, we know this may only be a temporary solution," Wos said in a news release. "But we are committed to meeting the needs of the people of North Carolina."

The department announced Tuesday it would halt vouchers for the WIC program because it lacked sufficient funds. Local health departments were being alerted to resume issuing vouchers.

"Our state is one of the highest volume states for the WIC program, so we take the impact of the shutdown very seriously," Wos said.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Two men killed in Spartanburg Co. crash

    Two men killed in Spartanburg Co. crash

    Monday, April 21 2014 6:33 AM EDT2014-04-21 10:33:49 GMT
    A Spartanburg man was killed after crashing his car on the road he lived along early Sunday morning, according to the Spartanburg County Coroner's office. Coroner Rusty Clevenger said the single vehicleMore >
    A Spartanburg man was killed after crashing his car on the road he lived along on early Sunday morning, according to the Spartanburg County Coroner's Office.More >
  • Moped driver dies from injuries after crashing into oncoming vehicle

    Moped driver dies from injuries after crashing into oncoming vehicle

    Sunday, April 20 2014 9:03 PM EDT2014-04-21 01:03:52 GMT
    A Boiling Springs woman who drove her moped into oncoming traffic on Wade Hampton Boulevard earlier this month, passed away from her injuries Sunday, according to the Greenville County Coroner.More >
    A Boiling Springs woman who drove her moped into oncoming traffic on Wade Hampton Boulevard earlier this month passed away from her injuries on Sunday, according to the Greenville County coroner.More >
  • update

    11-year-old killed in Pendleton crash

    11-year-old killed in Pendleton crash

    Sunday, April 20 2014 8:00 AM EDT2014-04-20 12:00:21 GMT
    Troopers with the SC Highway Patrol and the Anderson County Coroner's Office are investigating a deadly car crash in the Pendleton area. Troopers said the crash happened on Cherry Street Extension nearMore >
    Troopers with the SC Highway Patrol and the Anderson County Coroner's Office are investigating a deadly car crash in the Pendleton area.
    More >
Powered by WorldNow
Fox Carolina
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, WHNS; Greenville, SC. (A Meredith Corporation Station) and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.