In the wake of already falling snow and the winter weather forecast for a majority of the state, South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley has declared a state of emergency and asked for a federal emergency declaration, which was approved on Wednesday evening.
The federal declaration is a request for FEMA assets as a preemptive measure to help state and county operations during the winter storm. If approved the federal government will cover 75 percent of the cost, with the state responsible for the remaining 25 percent to buy items to help residents in the wake of the storm.
The approval of the declaration by FEMA will be for all counties in South Carolina. The declaration is put in place to "protect property and public health and safety, or to lessen or avert the threat of a catastrophe in the designated area,' according to a release from government officials.
The state of emergency was issued Tuesday and the emergency declaration was passed on Wednesday night.
The state of emergency was the second such declaration issued by Haley in the past few weeks as winter weather has walloped the state with below-freezing temperatures, ice and snow.
The status keeps the South Carolina National Guard on active duty in the event they are needed to help residents and other agencies who may face issues in the wake of the weather. The guard has wrecker teams and four-wheel drive vehicles that can be used in the storm response.
The order also puts into effect anti-price gouging laws and allows the governor to take whatever other steps are needed to protect residents. Haley issued a second executive order waiving weight limitations for trucks transporting emergency materials, equipment and supplies.
Similar declarations have been issued for Georgia and North Carolina.
Click here to read more about the snow and ice forecast for northeast Georgia and the western Carolinas.
Copyright 2014 FOX Carolina (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved. The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Wednesday, March 12 2014 2:05 PM EDT2014-03-12 18:05:45 GMT
(RNN) - According to NBC New York, an explosion and building collapse has occurred in an apartment building in Manhattan. No immediate information was reported on injuries. According to NBC, the FDNY respondedMore >
Two people have died and 18 more are injured after a building collapsed in Manhattan on Wednesday.More >
More than four days after a Malaysian jetliner went missing en route to Beijing, authorities acknowledged Wednesday they didn't know which direction the plane carrying 239 passengers was heading when it...More >
"All right, good night" were the final words heard by air traffic controllers from the missing Malaysia Airlines flight before it vanished over the South China Sea five days ago, relatives of the passengers were told...More >
Tuesday, March 11 2014 9:43 PM EDT2014-03-12 01:43:13 GMT
The University of South Carolina student paralyzed by a stray bullet shooting in Five Points in late 2013 will be honored by the Gamecocks baseball team during Tuesday night's game against Furman. SouthMore >
The University of South Carolina student paralyzed by a stray bullet shooting in Five Points in late 2013 will be honored by the Gamecocks baseball team during Tuesday night's game against Furman.More >
Tuesday, March 11 2014 11:03 PM EDT2014-03-12 03:03:16 GMT
The Mega Millions jackpot climbed to $309M on Tuesday.The winning numbers were drawn live on FOX Carolina Tuesday night.Those numbers are:If there is no winner, the jackpot will grow again.The next drawingMore >
The Mega Millions jackpot climbed to $309M on Tuesday.More >