Investigator: Slain woman called 911 after shot in back at home - FOX Carolina 21

Investigator: Slain woman called 911 after shot in back at Greenville home

Posted: Updated:
Kenneth 'Tony' Campbell in court Tuesday. (April 29, 2014/FOX Carolina) Kenneth 'Tony' Campbell in court Tuesday. (April 29, 2014/FOX Carolina)
Heather Shannon's family in court Tuesday. (April 29, 2014/FOX Carolina) Heather Shannon's family in court Tuesday. (April 29, 2014/FOX Carolina)

A preliminary hearing was held Tuesday, revealing more information about the fatal shooting of a woman who called 911 after she was first shot at a Greenville home in February.

Kenneth Campbell, 69, appeared before a Greenville County judge on the charges of murder and possession of a weapon during a violent crime in connection with the Feb. 21 fatal shooting of Heather Shannon, 31, at his Old Easley Bridge Road home.

According to prosecutors, Shannon called 911 to report she had been shot and once deputies arrived - after first going to the wrong house - they encountered Campbell outside at his truck.

The lead investigator on the case testified Tuesday that Shannon told dispatchers she was at Campbell's home and he shot her, and said she was afraid she was going to die.

"The victim is stating that she was shot and then you hear what is loud screaming, something to the effect of 'don't hurt me, get away from me,' and then it just goes dead," investigator Chris Hammett said, describing the 911 call.

Hammett said when deputies responded they encountered Campbell at his truck, which had just been returned by another woman. Hammett said that woman had been at the home with both Shannon and the defendant, but Campbell sent her to go buy cocaine for the victim and she did not return until after the 911 call was made.

The woman told investigators that Campbell was infatuated with and loved Shannon, though she was sometimes indifferent towards him, Hammett said.

Some information revealed during Tuesday's hearing conflicted with what was presented at Campbell's bond hearing on April 11. Hammett said Campbell did not have a bag packed when officers arrived, and though he told deputies they would need a search warrant to enter the home and said there was nothing wrong, they were able to enter before obtaining a formal search warrant due to the exigent nature of the situation.

When deputies entered the home, Hammett said they found Shannon lying on the floor in the kitchen area and she had been shot at least once. He said the autopsy revealed she had been shot twice and the bullets were not the same type.

Hammett said they found two types of guns inside the home, but the results confirming if they were the guns used to shoot Shannon have not yet come back.

He also testified that there was no evidence that Shannon had been held against her will in the home. He did say they found the victim's phone in the bathroom sink and a few pieces were on the ground near her, though it was still usable.

Additionally, Hammett said toxicology results revealed Shannon had the presence of cocaine in her system and he said they found several crack pipes in the home.

The families of Shannon and Campbell were in court Tuesday. At the end of the hearing, Campbell's defense motioned for both charges to be dismissed, but the judge denied the request, sending the case forward to trial. The date of his next court appearance has not yet been announced.

Copyright 2014 FOX Carolina (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
Fox Carolina
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2018, WHNS; Greenville, SC. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.