Generator causes house fire in Ottawa Lake, MI - FOX Carolina 21

Generator causes house fire in Ottawa Lake, MI

Posted: Updated:
OTTAWA LAKE, MI (Toledo News Now) -

A house fire destroyed a Michigan home, on Sunday morning, leaving a family of six without a place to live.

The fire sparked around 8 AM at a home on Head-O-Lake Road, in Ottawa Lake.

Power was out to the area before the fire.

The family was using a generator in the garage for electricity.

When power was restored, the generator became overloaded, causing it to catch fire.

The flames spread to the garage and to the home.

The family was inside at the time and the father worked to get the family out.

"He got the kids out and opened the garage door back up, and it back drafted on him and singed him a little bit, he got some minor burns, but he's fine," said Chief Brad Beck of the Ottawa Lake Fire Department.

No one else was injured.

Six crews worked to put out the fire.

The home is a complete loss and will be demolished.

Follow Toledo News Now:

Powered by WorldNow
Fox Carolina
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, WHNS; Greenville, SC. (A Meredith Corporation Station) and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.