District releases statement after high school disturbance - FOX Carolina 21

Anderson District 1 releases statement after high school disturbance

Posted: Updated:
Woodmont HS was placed on lockdown Thursday morning (FOX Carolina) Woodmont HS was placed on lockdown Thursday morning (FOX Carolina)
Woodmont HS was placed on lockdown Thursday morning (FOX Carolina) Woodmont HS was placed on lockdown Thursday morning (FOX Carolina)
GREENVILLE, SC (FOX Carolina) -

Woodmont High School was on a precautionary modified lockdown Thursday afternoon, per the request of the Greenville County School District superintendent, according to Oby Lyles, spokesman for Greenville County Schools.

Lyles said the lockdown was issued due to an incident involving a former student who was also involved in a disturbance at an Anderson County School earlier in the week.

Williamston police charged 17-year-old Brandon Morris for a disturbance at Palmetto High School.

Brandon spoke with FOX Carolina and says the incident was a miscommunication. He says he was only on school grounds to speak with his girlfriend and meant no harm. 

"I wasn't there to cause trouble," Brandon said. "I wasn't allowed to see her, according to her mothe,r so I wanted to go after school and talk to her. It was not during school hours."

Lt. Ken Ebernickel with the Williamston Police Department said the suspect unlawfully entered Palmetto High School and bypassed the school office on Monday.

The suspect didn't make any threats to anyone at the school, but that warrants were issued for disturbing school.

Lt. Ty Miller with the Greenville County Sheriff's Office said deputies learned about the warrants and advised Greenville County School officials, who then issued the precautionary lockdown.

At noon, Lyles said the school was upgraded to a modified lockdown, which means students can be accompanied to cars and elsewhere on school grounds by faculty and staff members.

The school notified parents via its telephone calling system, Lyles said.

Anderson School District One released the following statement on Thursday afternoon:

We want to provide our parents a safety update on a recent school related issue at Palmetto High School. The school was notified on Wednesday by a parent that a 17-year-old male came on campus earlier in the week to try to see an ex-girlfriend. This individual is not a student at Palmetto High School. This happened at dismissal time. The school was able to confirm this information with the use of our video cameras. There was an increased and visible presence of law enforcement and duty personnel on campus as a precaution. We have reviewed our safety procedures and provided pictures and other related information on this individual to law enforcement. Currently, law enforcement is seeking this individual. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the administration of Palmetto High School at 864-847-7311 or Anderson School District One at 864-847-7344.

Copyright 2014 FOX Carolina (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
Fox Carolina
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, WHNS; Greenville, SC. (A Meredith Corporation Station) and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.