Information contained on this page is provided by an independent third-party content provider. WorldNow and this Station make no warranties or representations in connection therewith. If you have any questions or comments about this page please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
SOURCE Mall of America
BLOOMINGTON, Minn., May 11, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Approximately 50,000 participants gathered at Mall of America® today to honor those affected by breast cancer at the 22nd annual Susan G. Komen Twin Cities Race for the Cure®. Together the group was able to raise approximately $2.5 million for breast cancer research, education, screening and preliminary treatment programs.
Top finishers for the 5K run are as follows:
For additional winners, see below.
Susan G. Komen Twin Cities Race for the Cure is one of the largest 5K runs/fitness walks in the world. It raises significant funds and awareness for the fight against breast cancer, celebrates cancer survivorship and honors those who have lost their battle with the disease.
Of the proceeds raised in the Susan G. Komen Twin Cities Race for the Cure, 75 percent stays in Minnesota to help uninsured and underinsured women in their fight against breast cancer. Proceeds also fund grants for Minnesota breast cancer research teams. The remaining 25 percent of the proceeds fund breast cancer research programs.
Since it's origination in 1983, the Komen Race for the Cure Series has grown from one local race in Dallas with 800 participants to a global series of more than 100 races with more than 1.5 million expected to participate in 2014.
For more information on the Susan G. Komen Twin Cities Race for the Cure® visit www.komenminnesota.org
About Mall of America
Mall of America (MOA) is the nation's largest retail and entertainment complex. At 4.87 million square feet, MOA is home to more than 520 world-class shops; Nickelodeon Universe, the nation's largest indoor family amusement park; EMS Entertainment Exhibit Center; SEA LIFE Minnesota Aquarium, a 1.2 million gallon walk-through aquarium; Moose Mountain Adventure Golf; Theatres at Mall of America, a 14-screen movie theater with digital projection including 4K, digital sound and 3D capabilities; and Radisson Blu Mall of America, a 500-room hotel connected by skyway to Mall of America. The Mall opened in August of 1992 and is located in Bloomington, Minn., just minutes from downtown Minneapolis and St. Paul. The Mall is currently undergoing a $325 million expansion project on all three levels on the north side. The expansion will include a 342-room JW Marriott hotel, office tower, high-end retailers, new dining options, a tourist welcome center and large event space. Follow Mall of America on Facebook and Twitter or visit our blog.
About Komen Twin Cities Race for the Cure®
The Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation was established in 1982 by Nancy Brinker to honor the memory of her sister, Susan G. Komen, who died from breast cancer at age 36. Today, the Komen Foundation is an international organization with more than 100,000 volunteers working through 120 Affiliates in the United States and four countries. The Komen Foundation has raised more than $1 billion toward its mission of eradicating breast cancer as a life-threatening disease by advancing research, education, screening and treatment.
2014 Race for the Cure® 5K run winners
Top Five Male Winners:
Top Five Female Winners:
Top Five Survivor Winners:
©2012 PR Newswire. All Rights Reserved.