Man dies in fire sparked by cigarette - FOX Carolina 21

Man dies in fire sparked by cigarette

Posted: Updated:
SPARTANBURG, SC (FOX Carolina) -

Police in Spartanburg said a cigarette sparked a fire that killed a man early Sunday morning.

Capt. Regina Nowak said officers were called to a house fire on South Cleveland Park Drive around 3:30 a.m.

Inside the house, firefighters found an unconscious man who, according to incident reports, was injured and barely breathing.

Coroner Rusty Clevenger identified the victim as James Tipton, 51.

Nowak said an investigation showed that a cigarette on a couch started the fire and that it appeared Tipton tried to get out of the house by breaking windows, which resulted in cuts on his hands and arms.

Copyright 2014 FOX Carolina (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
Fox Carolina
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, WHNS; Greenville, SC. (A Meredith Corporation Station) and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.