The parents of 19-month-old Bounkham Phonesavahn want someone to pay for what happened to their child.
The baby was in his play-pen when Habersham County law enforcement attempted a drug raid on the home he was in.
During the raid, a flash-bang grenade was lobbed through a doorway and landed in the play-pen with him.
He was critically injured when it went off right next to him. The baby is currently in a medically induced coma as medical professionals try to save his life.
A rally was held yesterday in Habersham County and the child's parents announced through spokesman Marcus Coleman another will be held.
Their desire is that this case draws national attention to the policies governing local law enforcement's use of flash-bang grenades and "no-knock" warrants.
"No-knock" warrants allow law enforcement to enter a building without identifying themselves, in order to give them an advantage over suspected criminals who may wish to do them harm during the execution of a warrant.
Law enforcement was attempting to conduct such a raid on the home where the child was injured, but the man they were looking for was not there at the time.
The family of baby "BouBou," as they call him, will be meeting with Georgia Bureau of Investigation officers in the coming days to provide them with everything they know about the activities leading up to and during the raid.
They hope to receive some indication whether the officers involved in the raid will be disciplined.
Their attorney Mawuli Mel Davis explained the parent's anger over what has happened and says they would like to see the officers fired and charged with crimes. "This is an innocent child whose life has been dramatically changed forever," said Mawuli.
The family's pastor also made a plea for church congregations to keep the child in their prayers, and to support the family financially. An account has been set up through Wells Fargo Bank.
Copyright 2014 WGCL-TV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.
Tuesday, July 29 2014 5:50 AM EDT2014-07-29 09:50:38 GMT
Copyright 2014 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved.More >
Listeria is listed on the the baby's death certificate as an immediate cause of her death. Her mother, says that while she was pregnant, she ate food that was part of a recent, nation-wide Listeria recall.More >
Tuesday, July 29 2014 12:32 PM EDT2014-07-29 16:32:40 GMT
In a new viral video, a little girl is thrown into hysterics over the idea of her little brother growing up. The mother filmed the entire thing, asking her little girl why she was so upset. The littleMore >
In a new viral video, a little girl is thrown into hysterics over the idea of her little brother growing up.More >