Fire destroys Pendleton antiques shop - FOX Carolina 21

Fire destroys Pendleton antiques shop

Posted: Updated:
Firefighters respond to Blue Ridge Antiques in Pendleton. (July 15, 2014/FOX Carolina) Firefighters respond to Blue Ridge Antiques in Pendleton. (July 15, 2014/FOX Carolina)
Firefighters respond to Blue Ridge Antiques in Pendleton. (July 15, 2014/FOX Carolina) Firefighters respond to Blue Ridge Antiques in Pendleton. (July 15, 2014/FOX Carolina)
Charlie Moore (far right) looks on the fire at his shop. (July 15, 2014/FOX Carolina) Charlie Moore (far right) looks on the fire at his shop. (July 15, 2014/FOX Carolina)
PENDLETON, SC (FOX Carolina) -

Firefighters were called to a Pendleton store early on Tuesday after a fire broke out, with flames soaring for hours.

The fire was reported at Blue Ridge Antiques and Refinishing on East Main Street in Pendleton about 5 a.m. Pendleton Fire Chief Bobby Pruitt said when crews arrived, there was heavy smoke and they could not get inside because of the fire situation.

Shop owner Charlie Moore said he received a call at 6:15 a.m. about the fire and when he arrived, saw a lot of smoke.

"Seemed like it got worse from there," Moore said.

Photos: Firefighters battle blaze at Pendleton shop

Flames could be seen coming from the rear of the building while smoke was billowing from the front, according to FOX Carolina's crew at the scene.

Pruitt said the fire was mostly in the area of the building where the furniture is refinished. He said the fire caused so much structural damage that they have had to attack the fire from the outside, but by 8:30 a.m., they were ahead of it.

He said crews will likely be putting out hot spots for several more hours. Pruitt said the heat was contained within the building due to the brick walls, keeping neighboring businesses from also being damaged.

"Anytime we have something like this it really scares us, it scared me when I heard the call go out because you never know which building they were talking about," said Pendleton Mayor and firefighter Frank Crenshaw.

"Anytime we lose one of these buildings it's a bad thing because it's part of our history here," Crenshaw continued. "And we're real lucky here, all guys here worked really hard, did a great job of stopping the fire and so most of the building is still in tact except for the roof."

Moore said the business moved into the building about eight years ago. He said inside there was a lot of furniture, glassware, electronics, antiques restored and waiting to be refinished.

He said there were chemicals in the back of the business used to strip furniture, flammable but nothing real toxic that he knew of.

Pruitt said no one was injured, though a few firefighters were a little overheated through the morning.

"Just hoping everybody gets through this thing safe and we'll worry about tomorrow when it gets here," Moore said.

Drivers in the area should avoid the town square, as Main Street is closed to traffic at Exchange Street.

Pendleton, Zion and Sandy Springs fire departments responded to the blaze along with Centerville, who brought in extra ladder truck to help battle the fire.

Copyright 2014 FOX Carolina (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
Fox Carolina
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, WHNS; Greenville, SC. (A Meredith Corporation Station) and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.