New lawsuit filed against DSS, Boys Home of South - FOX Carolina 21

New lawsuit filed against DSS, Boys Home of South after sexual abuse claims

Posted: Updated:
According to a lawyer representing the alleged victim, an investigation into his claims was opened in Greenville County but fell flat and the suspect was not charged. (Aug. 5, 2014/FOX Carolina) According to a lawyer representing the alleged victim, an investigation into his claims was opened in Greenville County but fell flat and the suspect was not charged. (Aug. 5, 2014/FOX Carolina)
The Boys Home of the South in Greenville County. (Aug. 5, 2014/FOX Carolina) The Boys Home of the South in Greenville County. (Aug. 5, 2014/FOX Carolina)
GREENVILLE, SC (FOX Carolina) -

A second lawsuit was filed against the Boys Home of the South within 14 months, accusing the southern Greenville County foster home of neglecting the handling or reporting of an alleged sexual abuse case involving a child in their care.

According to a press release issued by the law firms of Hite and Stone and Camden Law Firm, the lawsuit names the South Carolina Department of Social Services, the home, along with supervisors, the accused suspect and staff at BHOTS.

The lawsuit states the alleged victim was a foster child in the custody of DSS, placed at the home for about a year when the abuse took place. The suit says the boy was 12 at the time when a house parent sexually assaulted and sexually tortured him, who complained to supervisors and staff, but no actions were taken.

In an unrelated lawsuit filed against the home last year, one child was accused of sexually assaulting another while both were in the care of the home. That case was settled earlier in 2014

According to a lawyer representing the alleged victim, an investigation into his claims was opened in Greenville County but fell flat and the suspect was not charged.

FOX Carolina is working to get in touch with those accused in the suit.

DSS released the following statement when asked for comment on the lawsuit:

"There is nothing more important at the Department of Social Services than working to respond to families in crisis and the tragedies that result from abuse and neglect. Making sure our foster children are placed in the best situations possible and in safe and loving environments will always be one of our top priorities. The allegations made in this recently filed lawsuit are said to have occurred almost a decade ago and DSS will release its official response when it is completed and submitted to the court. As always, we will never stop fighting to protect the at-risk children of our state and will continue our constant efforts to secure safe and nurturing placements for the most vulnerable among us."

 Copyright 2014 FOX Carolina (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
Fox Carolina
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2017, WHNS; Greenville, SC. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.