Coroner: Woman dies after cigarette ignites fire in Anderson Co. - FOX Carolina 21

Coroner: Woman dies after cigarette ignites fire in Anderson Co. home

Posted: Updated:
Crescent Cove fire (Nov. 9, 2016/FOX Carolina) Crescent Cove fire (Nov. 9, 2016/FOX Carolina)
STARR, SC (FOX Carolina) -

A 71-year-old woman died Wednesday after she dropped a lit cigarette into a chair and the piece of furniture ignited, according to Anderson County Deputy Coroner Don McCown.

The fire broke out in a single wide mobile home on Crescent Cove Circle just before 4 p.m.

McCown said Madge Lee Stewart appeared to have tired to put out the fire but was not physically able to do so.

Stewart was found dead in the home when firefighter put out the fire.

McCown said Stewart died from smoke inhalation.

Copyright 2016 FOX Carolina (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
Fox Carolina
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2017, WHNS; Greenville, SC. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.