Coroner: Furman student died from fentanyl overdose - FOX Carolina 21

Coroner: Furman student died from fentanyl overdose

Posted: Updated:
Blake Hadden. (Source: Furman Athletics) Blake Hadden. (Source: Furman Athletics)
GREENVILLE, SC (FOX Carolina) -

The Greenville County Coroner's Office released the cause of death for a Furman University student who died in his dorm in May.

Joseph Blake Hadden, 23, was found unresponsive in bed by his roommates around 4 a.m. on May 5.

After an autopsy, the coroner said Hadden suffered accidental acute fentanyl toxicity. Fentanyl is a potent synthetic opioid.

Hadden was a member of the golf team and a fraternity on campus. He was majoring in politics and international affairs with a minor in womens' gender and sexuality.

The senior was honored at Furman's commencement ceremony.

Connie Carson, the Vice President for Student Life at Furman, issued the following statement:

The university continues to feel the loss of Blake, and our thoughts are once again with his family and friends. Furman offers a series of educational programs to inform our students about the dangers of alcohol and drug abuse. We also provide counseling services for students and refer them if necessary for treatment. And our faculty and staff help identify students who might not seek help otherwise. We will work that much harder to be sure these efforts positively affect as many students as possible.

PREVIOUS COVERAGE: Furman police: SLED leading investigation after roommates found Furman student dead in dorm

Copyright 2017 FOX Carolina (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.?

Powered by Frankly
Fox Carolina
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2017, WHNS; Greenville, SC. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.