Fire chief: Propane leak sparks explosion, fire at WNC country c - FOX Carolina 21

Fire chief: Propane leak sparks explosion, fire at WNC country club

Posted: Updated:
The damage at the Country Club (FOX Carolina/ June 20, 2017) The damage at the Country Club (FOX Carolina/ June 20, 2017)
SAPPHIRE, NC (FOX Carolina) -

Firefighters said an explosion sparked a fire at the Country Club of Sapphire Valley in Jackson County Monday night.

The fire chief said a worker at a fundraising party in the clubhouse Monday night accidentally hit a propane tank with a golf cart while taking out trash from the event. The impact knocked the tank, one of four, over and propane began leaking.

The worker quickly went back inside and ordered everyone to evacuate.

The fire department was called and the chief said firefighters had just arrived on scene around 11 p.m. when the propane tank exploded.

A fireplace was burning inside the building and ignited the propane in the air.

A few firefighters were knocked over by the blast but the chief said they were not hurt.

The fire destroyed half of the building containing the kitchen, dining room, and a few officers.

The building was just remodeled last season, the chief said.

The chief said firefighters worked through the night to contain the scene and the propane company was called in to burn off the remaining propane.

MORE NEWS: Fire destroys apartment building in Spartanburg

Copyright 2017 FOX Carolina (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
Fox Carolina
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2017, WHNS; Greenville, SC. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.