Solicitor: Suspected gunman in Gaffney murder-suicide previously - FOX Carolina 21

Solicitor: Suspected gunman in Gaffney murder-suicide previously charged with domestic violence

Posted: Updated:
Scene of investigation on Beech Street. (Source: Eyewitness) Scene of investigation on Beech Street. (Source: Eyewitness)
Scene of investigation on Beech Street. (Source: Eyewitness) Scene of investigation on Beech Street. (Source: Eyewitness)
GAFFNEY, SC (FOX Carolina) -

The Gaffney Police Department said an investigation is underway into what appears to be a murder-suicide.

Police said around 2 p.m., they found a male's body with a self-inflicted gunshot wound inside a vehicle in the parking lot of Brown Packing located on Willis Street.

Approximately an hour later, officers said they responded to a home on Beech Street for a welfare check were they found a female victim dead in the bathroom of the residence.

Officers said the two were boyfriend and girlfriend and the incident is being investigated as a murder suicide.

He identified the couple as Wallace Lee Hollis, 38, and Tina Elease Makeupson, 39, both of Gaffney.

It was determined that Hollis was an employee of Brown Packing. The coroner said the man was scheduled to work at 7 a.m. but never clocked in. He was pronounced dead on scene.

The coroner said it appears there was a physical altercation at the residence between the couple prior to Hollis leaving for work Monday morning. He said it appears Hollis took his own life after critically injuring Makeupson and leaving her at the residence.

According to the solicitor's office, the couple had a history of domestic violence. Solicitor spokesperson Murray Glenn said Hollis was charged with aggravated criminal domestic violence and kidnapping in December 2016, but Makeupson recanted her original statement to police.

Below is a full statement released by the solicitor's office:

The victim attended the defendant’s bond hearing on Dec. 5., 2016 and recanted the statements that led to the filing of the charges. She also changed her story in a follow-up interview with the Gaffney Police Department. She claimed she tore up her own house and caused injury to herself and Mr. Hollis did not hurt her. After Mr. Hollis bonded out of jail, the victim failed to respond to follow-up telephone calls and letters. We even searched for her through Facebook and Google with hopes of establishing a connection. The recanting of the initial statement and the lack of follow-up communication on her part left no choice but to dismiss the charges.

This case is heartbreaking and we offer our condolences to the family of Ms. Makeupson. We wish this pattern of abusive behavior ended differently.  The case also serves as a good example of why our office will not budge when domestic violence victims approach us after the arrest looking for leniency on behalf of the abuser.

The attempted murder charges in 2014 were dismissed due to a lack of responsiveness by the victims. They didn’t respond to multiple telephone calls to different numbers.

This is an ongoing investigation. Autopsies have been scheduled for Tuesday.

Stay with FOX Carolina for updates on this developing story.

MORE NEWS: Dying cancer patient faces eviction from his home

Copyright 2018 FOX Carolina (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
Fox Carolina
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2018, WHNS; Greenville, SC. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.