Family breaks upstairs window to escape from burning Spartanburg - FOX Carolina 21

Family breaks upstairs window to escape from burning Spartanburg Co. home

Posted: Updated:
Scene of fire in Roebuck (FOX Carolina/ Feb. 9, 2018) Scene of fire in Roebuck (FOX Carolina/ Feb. 9, 2018)
SPARTANBURG, SC (FOX Carolina) -

17-year-old Rykem Ferguson said he woke up Friday morning to smoke and flames inside his home, and then rushed to wake his family so they could all get out of the house.

The fire broke out in a home on Chelsea Street in the Roebuck community.

Ferguson said his mother broke a window so his cousin could jump to safety, injuring her hand in the process.

Ferguson said his two siblings, his cousins, and his parents were home at the time. They all made it out safely but the family’s pet guinea pig died in the fire.

"I'm just scared," Ferguson said. "I don't know what we're going to do from here."

Chief Brian Harvey with the Roebuck Fire District said they responded to the fire around 4 a.m.

He said heavy smoke was coming from the Upstairs windows when firefighters arrived and then heavy flames were showing minutes later.

Harvey said the house sustained heavy fire damage. He said Ferguson was lucky to have woken up when he did.

The family said smoke alarms were going off as they were rushing to escape the home.

The Roebuck Fire Department later released this video of the fire:

Harvey said it is important for families to have and practice an escape plan.

MORE NEWS - Greenville zoo to name baby giraffe on Friday

Copyright 2018 FOX Carolina (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
Fox Carolina
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2018, WHNS; Greenville, SC. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.