Remains of soldier killed in Korean War laid to rest - FOX Carolina 21

Remains of soldier killed in Korean War laid to rest

Posted: Updated:
Cpl. Terell J. Fuller (Source: DPMAA) Cpl. Terell J. Fuller (Source: DPMAA)
TOCCOA, GA (FOX Carolina) -

The remains of a soldier killed in the Korean War have been buried in his hometown with full military honors.

The Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency (DPAA) announced on Thursday that Army Cpl. Terrell J. Fuller, 20, of Toccoa will be buried on August 11 in his hometown.

Fuller was a member of Company D, 1st Battalion, 38th Infantry Regiment, 2nd Infantry Division in February of 1951, supporting attacks from the Republic of Korea Army against units of the Chinese People's Volunteer Forces (CPVF) in the Central Corridor in South Korea.

After enduring sustained attacks, Fuller's unit was among those that withdrew to Wonju, South Korea; Fuller was reported missing during the withdrawal, on February 12, 1951.

In December of 1951, Fuller's name appeared on a list provided by the CPVF and the Korean People's Army (KPA) of allied service members who died while in their custody. A fellow soldier from Fuller's company was imprisoned alongside him, but he reported that he was unaware of Fuller's status.

After the armistice, Fuller was declared deceased by the U.S. Army on February 18, 1954.

Between 1990 and 1994, North Korea returned 208 boxes of commingled human remains to the U.S., which were later determined to contain the remains of approximately 400 U.S. servicemen who died during the war. Another five boxes were turned over to the U.S. on May 20, 1990, which supposedly contained the remains of unaccounted-for servicemen.

According to his family, Fuller was identified among the remains returned in the early 1990s.

Fuller's remains were identified by scientists from the DPAA and the Armed Forces Medical Examiner System. The team used an array of evidence and tests to confirm his identity.

The announcement of the funeral comes weeks after North Korea returned more remains, draped in the flag of the United Nations until their countries of origin can be identified.

Law enforcement vehicles and Patriot Guard riders escorted Fuller's remains from Atlanta's Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport to Toccoa Thursday morning.

The caravan arrived in Toccoa shortly before 11 a.m.

On Saturday, August 11, Cpl. Fuller was brought to a local cemetery with a full motorcade, and a gun salute helped bring the Army soldier home once more.

Copyright 2018 FOX Carolina (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
Fox Carolina
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2018, WHNS; Greenville, SC. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.