Fatal shooting of 2 Cobb County Sheriff’s Office deputies | What we know
Published: Sep. 9, 2022 at 11:47 AM EDT|Updated: Sep. 14, 2022 at 8:58 AM EDT
ATLANTA, Ga. (CBS46) - Two Cobb County Sheriff’s Office deputies were shot and killed on the evening of Sept. 8. Here is what we know so far:
- Two Cobb County Sheriff’s Office deputies arrive in Marietta to serve a warrant for a “theft by deception” charge at a home near John Ward Road and Hampton Glen Drive in the Hampton Glen subdivision.
- Deputies were attempting to arrest Christopher Cook in the driveway of the home when confronted by Christopher Golden, who was armed with a gun.
- There was an exchange of gunfire. The shooting happened shortly before 8 p.m.
- One deputy was struck in the head, another in the pelvic area. A deputy was able to call for help.
- Neighbor reports hearing sirens from multiple police vehicles arriving in the neighborhood.
- Officers from more than a dozen agencies respond to the scene and a standoff begins.
- One deputy was pronounced deceased at the scene. The other deputy died as he is being transported to Kennestone Hospital.
- An ambulance, followed by multiple police vehicles, left the neighborhood shortly before 10 p.m.
- The standoff ends several hours later at around 12:15 a.m. with both suspects in custody.
- Cobb County Sheriff Craig Owens holds press conference at approximately 12:30 a.m. Friday to provide details about the incident. Several other sheriffs from metro Atlanta are in attendance.
- The suspects are being held at Cobb County Jail.
- These are the first two deputies to be killed in the line of duty in more than 30 years.
- The Cobb County Police Department is responsible for investigating the incident.
- Cobb County Sheriff’s Office identifies the suspects as Christopher Cook and Christopher Golden.
- The two suspects made their first appearance at around 4 p.m. Friday. They were denied bond.
- A press conference was held following the suspects’ court appearance and additional details were released.
- The suspects were identified as Christoper Cook and Christoper Golden. Golden is facing felony murder charges.
- The sheriff’s deputies have been identified as 42-year-old Jonathan Randall Koleski and 38-year-old Marshall Samuel Ervin Jr.
MAP OF THE AREA
Copyright 2022 WGCL. All rights reserved.