Four dead after generator used inside Greenville County home

The latest on the death investigation in Greenville County
Published: Jan. 29, 2023 at 9:40 PM EST|Updated: Jan. 30, 2023 at 4:30 PM EST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

GREENVILLE, S.C. (FOX Carolina) - The Greenville County Coroner’s Office released more information about the deaths of four men inside a home on Sunday.

Officials were called to the scene when someone called 911 to report a cardiac arrest, according to the coroner.

After an autopsy, the coroner said the victims died from carbon monoxide poisoning. Officials said the generator was being used to power part of the residence and had been placed inside the home.

The victims were identified as 37-year-old Alfonso Maldonado, 29-year-old Fernando Olea-Cano, 29-year-old Pedro Zapo, and 34-year-old Juan Osorio Castillo.

Carbon monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas, which can be found in fumes from generators, small engines, stoves, vehicles, furnaces and more. Generators should never be operated indoors.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headache, dizziness, weakness, upset stomach, vomiting, chest pain and confusion.

Click here for more from the Center for Disease Control about carbon monoxide safety.