Greenville, SC – April Evans, Chief Empowerment Officer of WMNLDRS, LLC (pronounced women leaders), presents #IRUNWITHMAUD Upstate, SC, a run/walk community experience to build upon the Ahmaud Arbery movement across the country and bring wider attention to issues of race and justice. We are pounding the pavement in the Upstate on Saturday, May 16th beginning at 7am.
On February 23, 2020, 25-year-old Arbery was out for a jog when he was shot and killed by two men in Brunswick, Georgia. Across the nation, walkers, joggers, and runners have taken to the pavement to increase awareness of Arbery's family’s fight to get justice for him by joining the #IRUNWITHMAUD movement and walking/running 2.23 (the date of Arbery’s death) miles.
#IRUNWITHMAUD Upstate, SC, organized by April Evans, Chief Empowerment Officer of WMNLDRS, LLC, is set to virtually bring the Upstate community together to join the nation-wide chorus of those walking and/or running 2.23 miles to continue to honor the life of Arbery and stand in solidarity against racially motivated violence.
“There aren’t any grey spaces to sit comfortably in and observe racially-motivated crimes from a distance. Hate begins and continues in the silence of ordinary people, like you and me. This virtual run has been orchestrated, in part, to provide the Upstate with the collective opportunity to push back against hate and hate crimes and take action as an ally to the Black community,” says April, virtual walk/run organizer. “By participating, we are serving notice to our neighbors, communities, and nation that hate will not go unchecked. It also provides an opportunity for anyone interested in being a better ally to the Black community to use their powerful voices alongside powerful marginalized ones.”
This free event, encouraging the community to take the 2.23-mile walk/run, has been posted to Facebook events and titled IRunWithMaud Upstate, SC.
More details about #IRUNWITHMAUD Upstate, SC:
● This is a free event that is open to everyone and registration is not required.
● The virtual walk/run will take place on Saturday, May 16th. Everyone is encouraged to walk/jog/run beginning at 7am. You do have the flexibility and convenience of participating at any time of day and at your own pace.
● To encourage runners and to promote safe social distancing in the running community, there will not be a set route/course. This is a virtual race that you can run or walk in any location.
● Pick up your FREE #IRUNWITHMAUD race bib at one of these two locations:
Changing Your Mind Ministries, 9 Beth Drive, Greenville, SC 29609 on Thursday, May 14th and Friday, May 15th. 5:30pm - 7pm. To continue maintaining safe social-distancing, bib pick up with be drive-thru/curbside only.
Fleet Feet Sports, 635 Augusta Street, Greenville, SC. M-Sat 11am - 5pm
Race bibs are available to the first 1000 participants.
● Share your support with pictures and videos from your walk/run with the hashtags: #IRUNWITHMAUD, #RUNWITHMAUDSC, and #JUSTICEFORAHMAUD
WMNLDRS, LLC is dedicated to helping women identify and reverse self-sabotaging behaviors by giving her a safe place to release perfection, define boundaries, and reconnect to her truth.
Contact Information: April Evans at firstname.lastname@example.org
Eventbrite link: https://irunwithmaudupstatesc.eventbrite.com
Apr 19$20/person (ahead) $30/person (at the door if not sold out) $10 for kids 6-12