UNION COUNTY, SC (FOX Carolina) The Union County Coroner announced the death of a 16-year-old boy who was severely burned when his family's restaurant exploded on July 13 of this year.
According to officials, Cole Harris was sitting inside the Old English restaurant on Jane Glymph Goree Boulevard , waiting for his father to finish cutting the grass when the explosion occurred.
Harris was rescued by family members who ran in to save him. Though, he sustained burns to about 92% of his body.
He was immediately taken to the Augusta Burn Center in Georgia, and has been treated there for the last few months.
Unfortunately, Cole passed away on October 12.
The Coroner says the Union County Sheriff's Office, the Carlisle Volunteer Fire Department, the Santuc Volunteer Fire Department, and other agencies continue to investigate the incident.
On Monday, the principal of Union County High School, Dr. Alfred Williams, released the following statement on Cole's death:
The Union County High School (UCHS) family suffered a tragic loss with the passing of one of our students, Cole C. Harris, on Saturday October 12th.
The thoughts and prayers of the UCHS and Union County School District go out to the Harris family. Cole will be greatly missed by the entire Union County community.
Counselors are available to assist any students or staff members who may need support during this difficult time.
Several activities are being planned at UCHS in Cole's honor and the details of these activities will be forthcoming.
Friends, family and loved ones will say their final goodbyes on Saturday, October 19 at 3 p.m. The service will be held at St. Luke AME Zion Church in Carlisle, South Carolina.