(FOX Carolina / January 24, 2021)

GREENVILLE, SC (FOX Carolina) - American Red Cross volunteers are helping multiple families following an apartment fire in Greenville Co.

According to Red Cross, at least a dozen units at the Roper Mountain Wood Apartment complex were damaged Sunday morning leaving around 20 people in need of help.

Red Cross said they are providing financial assistance for immediate needs like shelter, food and clothes to the families impacted.  

(FOX Carolina / January 24, 2021)

“As our teams work with the families impacted, we are thinking about all of them and want to provide support,” said Lisa Colby, the Executive Director of the Upstate Chapter, in a news release. “This is another sad reminder that fires can happen anywhere at any time and we must always be prepared for such disasters.” 

The Boiling Springs Fire District received a call about the fire at the complex just before 5:30 a.m. on Sunday.

A neighbor who lives next to the building that caught fire says he and his roommate started hearing cars honking early in the morning.

“He went and investigated, I came out, looked on the balcony saw only smoke billowing out of this apartment. Maybe about 10 minutes later I came out myself and at that time the smoke had turned into flames,” explained Adam Bodnar.

Boiling Springs Fire District Assistant Chief Jeff Nelson says multiple departments responded, as firefighters found flames on the second and third floor as well as the attic.

Luckily, Nelson says there were no reported injuries from the fire.

"Everybody got out unharmed. Obviously they lost some valuables that maybe cannot be replaced but the fact is nobody got hurt and it's a good day when we don't have to take people to the hospital or worse," said the Assistant Chief.

Nelson says the department asked for 12 units impacted by the fire to be left empty for now, between fire and water damage.

"It was surreal it was something out of a movie you know, you don't expect to see that yourself," said Bodnar.

As for a cause, the department says it is leaning towards that being a "improperly disposed smoking material".

Nelson also wants to encourage everyone to make sure that you have working smoke detectors, as he said he was unsure if the smoke alarms went off Sunday morning for some units.

(FOX Carolina / January 24, 2021)

More news: Spartanburg Coroner: Man entrapped in machine dies early Sunday morning

Copyright 2021 FOX Carolina (Meredith Corporation). All Rights Reserved.

Locations

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.