The South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control (DHEC) is providing tips for avoiding Carbon Monoxide poisoning as cold weather spreads across the state.
According to DHEC, nine South Carolinians die every year from carbon monoxide poisoning. DHEC lists gas-powered generators, charcoal grills, propane stoves, charcoal briquettes, motor vehicles, boats, power washers and other gas powered tools as sources of carbon monoxide poisoning.
DHEC has provided the following tips to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning: Have heating systems, water heaters and other gas, oil, or coal burning appliances serviced by a technician annually Install a battery-operated CO detector in your home and check the battery each time you change the clocks for Daylight Savings. Call 911 and leave your residence if the detector sounds. Seek immediate medical attention if you think you have CO poisoning and feel dizzy, light-headed or nauseated. Do not use a generator, charcoal grill, camp stove or other gasoline or charcoal burning device inside your home, basement, garage or near a window. Do not run a car or truck inside a garage attached to your house, even if a door is left open. Do not burn anything in or using a stove or fireplace that isn't properly vented. Do not heat your house with a gas oven. For more information on CO poisoning prevention, visit the Center for Disease Control and Prevention website.
Copyright 2018 FOX Carolina (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.