Morningside Drive Fire 5/23

Two people were sent to the hospital in Walhalla after firefighters say a cooking fire left a male victim burned and a woman with smoke inhalation. 

WALHALLA, SC (FOX Carolina) The City of Walhalla Fire Department says two people were sent to the hospital early Saturday morning as a result of a fire that was caused by cooking. 

Squad 52, Squad 51 and Chief 5 crews responded to a Morningside Drive residence around 1:42 a.m. in reference to a structure fire with possible injuries. Upon arrival, the department says they noticed light smoke coming from the home. 

Quickly, crews were able to determine that the fire was out and cancelled incoming mutual aid agencies. 

A male victim was discovered to have burns on about 30% of his body. Both firefighters and Prisma EMS personnel began treating him on scene. 

While they were treating him, firefighters say a female began experiencing smoke inhalation symptoms and was treated. 

The man was transported by EMS to Greenville Memorial while the woman was taken to Oconee. No other injuries were reported. 

Firefighters say the fire was caused by cooking, as there was some smoke and heat damage to the stove area of the kitchen. 

"City Fire would like to remind you that when cooking with oil; heat it slowly, never leave cooking unattended, keep a lid close by, and a fire extinguisher handy.  Do not put water on a grease/oil fire," Fire Chief Brandon Burton said. 

MORE NEWS: 

Fallen Easley soldier to be honored at Nascar's Coca-Cola 600 Sunday

NWS surveying storm damage in NC, SC counties Saturday

Copyright 2020 FOX Carolina (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Locations

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.