Officials with Hart County Fire Department said five firefighters were sent to the hospital following a house fire on Saturday.

The fire started at home on Anderson Highway around 7 p.m.

Fire officials said the firefighters were hospitalized at AnMed due to possible exposure to a chemical.

Hart County Fire Chief Jerry Byrum said the firefighters started having shortness of breath, coughing, gauging, and were throwing up before they were taken to the hospital.

Byrum said four of the firefighters were released from the hospital the next morning but one was still suffering from symptoms on Monday.

By Tuesday, Byrum said all firefighters were out of the hospital.

Investigators still do not know what chemical in the home made people sick but Byrum said there was no evidence of illicit chemical use in the home.

Firefighters and deputies are investigating the fire.

Two women lived at the home and were cooking on the back porch when the fire started outside.

Byrum said several kittens and a small dog died in the fire.

The fire was ruled accidental.

MORE NEWS: 19-year-old Gaston mom arrested after infant transported to hospital with broken ribs, leg

Copyright 2018 FOX Carolina (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Recommended for you