The American Red Cross said a fire at an apartment building in Spartanburg County forced eight people from their homes early Thursday morning.

The Croft Fire Department was called to battle the fire on Headquarters Loop around 3 a.m.

Firefighters said they believe wiring in a vent fan in a bathroom of one of the top floor apartments caught fire. The flames quickly spread through the attic.

Everyone made it out safe but firefighters said the building suffered substantial damage.

Authorities said residents in the building were alerted to the fire by a man who noticed the flames coming from the roof.

That man, identified by neighbors as Booker Mullins, was able to knock on doors to the building to get people out.

"All I had seen was a big bright light," said Mullins, who said she went to the unit that had a mother and two kids first, before alerting the other residents in the building.

"I didn't want anybody to get killed or burnt up," he added.

Six adults and two children lost their homes.

Dispatchers said firefighters were still on scene as of 7 a.m.

The American Red Cross said its disaster-trained volunteers are assisting the victims by providing financial assistance for food, clothing, lodging and other essentials, and comfort kits containing personal hygiene items.

MORE NEWS - 'If I don’t have it, I die': College student describes the copay that almost killed her

Copyright 2018 FOX Carolina (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Multimedia Producer

Recommended for you